KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS

Our Lady Of Peace Council 5726

Lethbridge, Alberta

HISTORY

FIRSTS IN CANADA


Father Michael McGivney, founder of the Order, got his pre-seminary education at St. Hyacinthe, Quebec at age 16 - 18 (1868-70) and first seminary training at St. Mary's College in Montreal (1872-73), being finally ordained in Baltimore.


First Council ever formed outside the U.S., formed in Montreal November 25 1897.

First State Deputy in Canada was John P. Kavanagh of Montreal, his appointment coinciding with Canada being declared a State jurisdiction on May 24, 1900.

Canada's first Master of the Fourth Degree was Joseph A. Mercier of Montreal, appointed sometime before January 14 1907.

Canada's first Fourth Degree Exemplification was held in Montreal on July 14, 1907... the first ever outside the U.S.

First Canadian Supreme Director Joseph A. Mercier 1909-1918.

First ever meeting of the Fourth Degree worldwide National Assembly was held in Quebec City July 29, 1910.

Canada's first Vice Supreme Master of the Fourth Degree, Michael J. Gorman of Ottawa, was appointed July 29, 1910.

First Supreme Convention ever held outside of the USA, was in Quebec City August 2-4, 1910.

Columbian Squires was established by the Order at the August 7-9, 1923 Supreme Convention in Montreal. There were 20,000 Knights in attendance, the largest attendance ever at a Supreme Convention.


SOME BASIC FACTS


History: The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic family, fraternal, service organization instituted March 29, 1882 in New Haven, Connecticut by Fr Michael J. McGivney. This organization was introduced into Canada on November 25, 1897 in Montreal. The Fourth Degree, which was founded or February 22, 1900 in New York city, came to Canada on July 14, 1907, again to Montreal. The K of C have the principles of charity, unity, fraternity and patriotism. Founded upon ideals inspired by teachings of our Catholic faith, it has a proud heritage of service to the Church, country, family and community. Headquarters for the Order are in New Haven and its membership is present in twelve countries . . . the USA, Canada, Mexico, Philippines, Cuba Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Saipan, Guam, Virgin Islands and Panama.


Membership: As of June 30, 1995, world wide membership stands at 1.55 million men in 10,556 councils. Including wives and children of members, the K of C's extended family totals about six million people . . . the size of a small country as Pope John Paul I said. It is the largest Catholic men's organization in the world and the third largest mens organization in Canada. Canada has 1693 Councils with 222,782 members.


Insurance: At year end 1994, the Order showed life insurance in force of $26. 7 billion, ranking among the top 5% of insurance companies in North America. A total of 517,000 Brother Knights have at this time availed themselves of this benefit. There is a wide variety of top quality insurance and annuity programs available to members and their families. A special new package of free insurance benefits to new Knights was introduced in January 1995.


PROGRAMS


Church: The Knights are involved in a great many projects in support of the Church on a local, national and international level. One of the oldest (starting in 1947) and best known programs is the Catholic Information Service which, through an annual assessment of 80 cents per member, provides free religious pamphlets and instruction to millions of inquirers. In 1994, 9500 inquirers enrolled in this correspondence course. The Order also provides volunteer and financial resources in support of vocations awareness programs at local and national levels. At the Council / Assembly level, there is a considerable amount of support for parishes, for seminarians, clergy and bishops. At the national level, the Bishop de Laval Fund supports our Canadian Bishops with an annual contribution which in 1994 was $63,080. At the international level, the Order has financed renovations in the Vatican, underwrites the cost of satellite TV broadcasting for Papal functions, has a Vatican and Papal microfilm library, has created a $20 million foundation (Vicarius Christi Fund), the earnings of which are conveyed annually to the Holy Father for his own personal charitable purposes. And much more. The Knights have distributed over two million K of C rosaries, currently at about 10,000 a month.


Charity: During the year 1994-95, the Order gave $100 million to charity, $72 million of which was through local Councils, $17 million from Supreme Council (international governing body) and $12 million from State (provincial level) Councils. In addition an estimated 49 million hours of volunteer service was provided by members of the Order in the same time frame, and 345,000 Brothers donated blood.


Fraternal: The Order, inherently a very fraternal organization, has many programs aimed at strengthening the bonds as Brothers in Christ.


Family: Through programs of family prayer, family participation in the parish liturgy, concern of Christian values in the home and school, days of family recreation and much more, the K of C's work to defend family life which is under attack by immoral forces rampant in society.


Pro Life: The Order devotes outstanding effort and resources at all levels in attempts to end the legalized slaughter of innocents. In the early 1990s, the Order has undertaken a nation wide awareness pro- gram of erecting "Tombs to the Unborn".


Youth: The Order has multifaceted programs to help our youth in sports, youth camps and in the educational field with student loans and scholarships and with the establishment of college/university Councils. The Order also established an organization for boys between 12 and 18 years of age called Columbian Squires. This came about at the Supreme Convention held in Montreal on August 7-9, 1923.

As of mid 1995, the Order-wide membership count

is 24,355 Squires in 1071 Circles. Alberta started a similar program in 1971 for girls, called Columbian Squirettes.


Seniors: Several Councils in Alberta have sponsored the building of government subsidized Seniors lodges, residences and low cost housing.


Community Services: In 1994 the world-wide K of C membership volunteered a total of 60 million hours of community service to youth, communities, hospitals, jails and churches. K of Cs sponsor programs to feed the hungry, aid the elderly, shelter the homeless, guide young people, and to assist the physicaly and mentally handicapped.


Patriotism: The Order fosters love of country through patriotic projects of its Fourth Degree members.


Benefits of Membership


1. Membership provides association and fellowship with a community of some of the finest of Catholic men

        and their families, from all walks of life.

2. Membership is a sound investment that will bring generous dividends in spirtual growth, personality, 

        character, leadership and success.

3. The resources of this 1.5 million member organization are available to members so that they might 

        accomplish Christian oriented projects which they can not do alone.

4. Membership provides the urge to think wi and work for the restoration of all things in Christ.

5. The Member/Spouse Fraternal Benefit provides accidental death insurance coverage up to $2500 (Can.)

        for all members at no cost.

6. The Family Fraternal Benefit that, for eligible families, (a) pays $1500 for the child who dies before the age

        of 61days; (b) pays $750 for the child who is stillborn at least 20 weeks after conception; (c)offers     

        guaranteed-issue insurance up to $5000 to any child under age 18.

7. The Orphan Fraternal Benefit that endows an $80 monthly allotment for orphans of eligible families. Also

        up to $7000 in college scholarships are available through this benefit.

8. Twelve Canadian scholarships are available for higher education. Student loans for members, spouse and 

        children (see Appendix for further information).

9. A portfolio of top quality insurance, RRSP and annuity products are offered to members and their wives.

10. Each new or readmitted member receives a K of C rosary.

11. All members receive a free subscription to Columbia magazine, which their wives continue to get after

        the members death.

12. A daily Mass of remembrance is held at St. Mary's Church in New Haven, Connecticut for deceased 

        members of the Order . . . and much, much, more!
























































KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS

ARE INTRODUCED INTO ALBERTA


The Territorial District of the Knights of Columbus on the prairies was established following the formation of the Winnipeg Council No. 1107 in 1906. The first Grand Knight of the Council. Thomas D. Deegan, became the Territorial Deputy, a post he held until the formation of the Manitoba-Saskatchewan State Jurisdiction in 1909. The split in the Western area came in 1907 when Alberta became part of the organization.


Mr. Deegan as Territorial Deputy carried the responsibilities of the Order throughout the region of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, having an area of 575,000 miles which is about one-fifth of the total of the 48 American States, or a little less that one-sixth the total area of the Dominion of Canada. During the period following the formation of the Winnipeg Council, the Territorial Deputy shouldered the responsibility in the development of Columbianism for this large area.


Alberta was the first target, and with the assistance of such outstanding stalwarts of Winnipeg Council as J.H. O'Connor, J.J. Callahan, F.W. Russel, J.K. Barrett, T.J. Murray, and others, Mr. Deegan was able to introduce Knighthood into Edmonton and Calgary during January 1907. Following the formation of the Alberta Councils a Territorial District was established in the province of Alberta. This left Mr. Deegan more time to expand his work with the Order in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. Regina council No. 1247 instituted in June 17, 1907, along with the Winnipeg Council made up the Territorial District of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The second council in Manitoba was launched at Brandon on July 1, 1909 and qualified these Councils to form a State Jurisdiction.


The group from Winnipeg took their mission to the West in 1907. They met with many dignitaries in Edmonton the same Sunday and that same afternoon left for Calgary where the institution proceedings were commenced the following day. The proceedings were followed by a banquet where the Knights and the ladies were suitably entertained at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. P.J. Nolan. Open house followed where many of the leading citizens of Calgary were present.


The two new Councils of Edmonton and Calgary started out under exceptionally auspicious conditions. The membership of each City was composed of representatives of professional and businessmen, and they were all delighted with the success of the initiation ceremonies.


The Edmonton Council elected N.D. Beck, a leading member of the bar, as their first Grand Knight. Patrick J. Nolan, a well known lawyer of Western Canada assumed the office of the first Grand Knight of the Calgary Knights. Mr. Nolan also was elected as the Territorial Deputy of Alberta for a period of two years. (1907-1909). He was followed by Edward F. Ryan, who remained in office until 1912.


It must be said that the great success which attended the excursion from Winnipeg in 1907 to the West proved that the affair had been splendidly organized, and this is mainly due to the organizing ability and the self sacrificing zeal of the Grand Knight of Winnipeg Council, Territorial Deputy T. J . Deegan. The preliminary arrangements involved tremendous correspondence, two trips to Edmonton and Calgary. So perfect were the arrangements that there was not one real hitch in the proceedings from the beginning to the end.



AN OVERVIEW OF THE HISTORY OF 

THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS IN ALBERTA

1907-1980


by Past Provincial Deputy Ron MacDonald, and other Past State and Provincial Deputies


With the turn of the twentieth century the West began to settle at a very rapid pace. The settlers who were taking up the land came from Eastern Canada, the United States and many countries of Europe.


It was not until 1905, that Alberta, along with Saskatchewan, became an autonomous province of Canada. Prior to that time, both were part of the Northwest Territories, with Regina the administrative capital.


The year 1906 saw the Order of the Knights of Columbus lay the foundations of organization in this province, with Edmonton Council No. 1184 being the first one formed, January 5, 1907, being the official date of its institution; followed two days later by Calgary Council No. 1186, instituted January 7, 1907. Over three years later it was Lethbridge Council No. 1490, instituted May 24, 1910, and some three or more years later on May 3, 1914, it was Medicine Hat Council No. 1732.


Then came the World War of 1914-1918, when our Order in Canada was asked by the Canadian Government to perform the great service of Knights of Columbus Army Huts throughout the training centres of Canada and overseas. With less than eight years' establishment in Alberta, the Knights of Columbus answered the call and manned huts at different centres and also gathered the necessary funds by public appeal for voluntary donations. The motto of our Order at all our huts was: "Everybody Welcome and Everything Free", and this motto prevailed throughout the First World War.


It was in 1917 that the Catholic Army Hut project was successfully launched. The funds were derived from contributions and campaigns under the Canadian Knights of Columbus. They undertook and financing of the project. In 1918 the Supreme Board of Directors of the Knights of Columbus approved the formation by the Canadian Knights of a governing board for their army hut work. The personnel of the Board consisted of the Canadian State Deputies. J.J. Leddy, State Deputy for Manitoba and Saskatchewan, became the chairman of the Board. He carried on until 1919. At that time he was elected to the Supreme Board of Directors. The Alberta representative on the Board was L.A. Giroux, Edmonton, who was the State Deputy for Alberta from 1918-1920. Almost every area in the province instituted fund drives for the war hut support. The intensive drive plan proved itself to be a most successful fund producer both in the United States and in al the provinces in Canada. Alberta was a major contributor both in supplying funds and personnel for the war hut project.


Public appeal for funds throughout the Province was well received and on November 22, 1918, a cheque as a result of this last appeal, in the sum of $64,889.86, was made payable to the Catholic Army Hut Association and signed by the State Deputy.


Everything we stocked in our huts was given free, as per our motto, and thus it took a lot to finance our army huts in this Province; and it was the same elsewhere, wherever we had such huts. The many thousands of letters of appreciation our Order received during and after the First World War more than compensated all the members for whatever effort and sacrifice had been made by them; but, it was an honour, too, for our Order to be asked to render this service to our country in time of need when so many gave so much, and sometimes their very lives, so that we might be free in this country of ours, Canada.


After the War, the fifth Council to be formed in Alberta was La Verendrye Council No. 1938 in Edmonton. Then followed Pincher Creek, St. Paul and Bow Island, which brings us to the years of the depression in Canada and no new Council was formed until 1946 when Rockyford Council No. 3004 was established. With only eight Councils instituted up to the year 1934, we now have 57 Councils in Alberta after 60 years since the first Council was formed, and 7,000 members. And let us not forget that in the years of the depression (1930-1938) our membership was reduced close to 800 members, associate as well as insurance.


INSURANCE


When our Order was inaugurated in Alberta in 1906, no insurance was sold to members for the first few years. Then, the necessary arrangements having been made with the Provincial Government and the required deposit placed with the Insurance Superintendent to guarantee all contracts sold our members, the first contracts were sold on the five-year renewable term plan, with the premium increasing with the age of the Assured. Thus this type of contract of insurance was the only one available and a General Agent was appointed in the person of Brother James E. Enright. At the end of 1966 a total of $1,500,000,000.00 was in force for insured members and their dependents.


1920 LEADERSHIP COURSE


At its convention in 1920, Supreme Council realized the great value of Leaders, especially for the training of youth in all countries, so a course in Leadership was instituted at Notre Dame University with a degree after one year of study. Al State Councils were allowed to propose at least one among their members to take the course and Alberta chose the late Brother Cyril Burchell, a teacher with the Edmonton Separate School System who came back to Alberta and worked here in the Province organizing the Columbian Squires, whose members could in turn train others as Leaders in the Community as we have it today.


Except for the operation of the Catholic Army Huts during the First World War of 1914 to 1918, the Knights of Columbus in Alberta from the inception of its first Councils, conducted all its activities more or less on a parochial or district level until the years after World War Il which ended in 1945. However, in that War the Knights of Columbus were again asked to operate Army Huts in Canada wherever there were training camps; but no financial help was required since all supplies came directly from the Canadian Government. However, nothing was sold to the men in the Service who visited the huts.


About the year 1950 when men from the Forces were being demobilized, it was felt that the Knights of Columbus could probably help with the cost of higher education and provide a sufficient fund for scholarships or bursaries for our young people who could take advantage of advance studies at universities. At its annual convention in 1950, the Knights of Columbus were authorized to invest our surplus then amounting to $2,500.00 in Canadian Government Bonds, which was done and in succeeding years similar surpluses were so invested.


In 1960, a state raffle was authorized to be held in Alberta and a net profit of $7,000.00 was realized to be added to our Reserve Account. Savings continued to be made in the course of State Council operation and by the end of 1963 a fund of $25,000.00 had thus been created for the purpose of scholarships or other worthwhile projects.


When a request was made in 1962 by the Catholic Charities in Edmonton for educational aid to young people desiring to pursue higher studies, a Committee was formed and studied the request from all angles and recommended to the State Convention that a scholarship to the maximum amount of $1,500.00 be awarded to a Catholic for a course at the University; and once the degree is obtained, that he or she come back to Alberta to work with the Catholic Charities Association or either Calgary or Edmonton dioceses if they have such an organization in operation. The Committee also recommended that this scholarship fund be taken from the interest only received from investments now in our

Reserve Fund which, as noted above, had by this time reached the sum of $25,000.00. This practically amounts to a scholarship in perpetuity, for present needs or future requests that may be made to the Alberta State Council.


Another provincial project that the Knights of Columbus in Alberta may take great pride in is that of the Columbian Library at St. Joseph's College on the University of Alberta campus in Edmonton. This meant a contribution of $30,000.00 for the purchase of a new library when the Basilian Fathers took over the management of the College after the Christian Brothers had to withdraw for lack of staff, as they also like many religious Orders suffer from lack of vocations to fill the vacancies in their ranks.


In order to take advantage of the Canada Council's offer of help to St. Joseph's College in Edmonton at that time, they matched dollar for dollar with the gift of the Knights of Columbus up to $20,000.00 for the Canada Council's share; hence, it made for a happy partnership, out funds had to be raised in a hurry, so again it was the Bond in our Reserve Account that was given to the bank as security for the required loan and thus the library was furnished with up-to-date books for both staff and students alike. This College Library gift meant a contribution of $5.00 each from some 6,000 members in this

jurisdiction of Alberta at the time of the purchase of these books.


All good causes in Alberta since the first Council was formed in this Province have received support from the Knights of Columbus. This is their record in the past and the same will be guaranteed in the future. Good causes are numerous at all times but labourers are sometimes found wanting.


In these first 60 years of operation in Alberta many, many more names could also have been given, but we feel sure that the earlier workers in this field who have already left this earthly residence are now enjoying their just reward from the Creator Who knows everything and forgets not the smallest of good deeds.


We think before closing this short history of our Order in Alberta and as we enter the second century of Confederation in Canada this year (1967), it might be well to think of the future of this country and the part that Catholics must play.


The Catholics in Canada recorded in the census of 1961 formed 49% of the total population. In the Province of Alberta, those of the Catholic Faith formed some 30% of our 1,250,000 population.


Are we doing enough public service for our country on the local level, or in the provincial or federal field of administration? Our members must work even harder and our voices must be heard in much greater numbers. 


Our Church has through the Second Vatican Council adopted a very diversified renewal program for the Faithful and as laymen we are asked to give full support to this endeavour. Our Order of the Knights of Columbus in Canada should accept this challenge and should be able to give its full support both to Mother Church and to our country.



1967-1979


Up until the 1960's, the Knights have been more occupied with looking after the Order from within. In other words, they have primarily directed their endeavours towards themselves and to the Church. Certainly they have been community minded as well. However, starting in the sixties, emphasis has been placed more and more on community activities. This was aided to a great degree by Vatican I. With Vatican I we took a new impetus in line with the responsibilities outlined in Vatican II towards lay people. Previously we have 'turned in' and now we commenced more than ever to 'look out'. The library project, as outlined earlier was started in 1963. In 1967 the library project was fulfilled. At the annual meeting in 1968 it was felt that the library project in Edmonton was one of our greatest projects. And because the University of Calgary had reached maturity to the point where State Council resolved a similar commitment for Calgary.


In 1967 concern was being expressed at State Conventions for a national identity. This crops up every year. Also feelings were expressed about a lack of communication between the Councils and the State. It was at this time that the State Board started to think of indoctrination programs such as seminars for the members. In 1967 changes were also announced in degree work and ceremonials.


During the course of this year numerous joint gatherings of Masons, Shriners and Knights were held throughout the province promoting brotherhood. These same projects have been on a continuing basis since that time. Also this year, 1968, the Knights in Edmonton, who operate minor hockey, received the North American National Recreation and Park Association Citation for voluntary services to hockey over the previous ten years. 


Generally speaking, the Alberta Jurisdiction made many changes in objectives generated by the desire of Vatican Il to make the church more relevant to the modern world.


In 1970, in an effort to generate more monies for Charitable organizations, the State Council proposed a State Charities Raffle for Alberta and had it approved by the Provincial Council in Convention. Profits from this raffle, started out slowly but by 1978 reached $100,000.00. Half this amount went to the local Councils that participated in the raffle. The other half went to the Provincial Council for Charities in a Province wide level.


Drug abuse became an issue and a priority in 1970 and funds were allocated to promote and advertise the evils of this problem.


Along the lines of Provincial Sporting events, the provincial Golf Tournament got underway and has continued since that time. This was also the year that favoured son, PPD Mike Collins was elected as a Supreme Director, the first time we were so honored.


The year 1972 saw the institution of the new Surge Program. This program seemed at the outset, to give more flexibility and a closer relationship with the family and the Church, than did the old 6 point program. It is even more evident today.


This year also saw the inauguration of our Training Seminars and the establishment of an Advisory Board. The training seminars have proved invaluable in training new Grand Knights especially - but also to the benefit of the Councils. In fact, Councils that participated in the Seminars seem to get along on their own and never get into difficulty. The few that don't participate are the ones that have more problems.


The Knights of Columbus International Golf Tournament was held in Red Deer in 1972 and we are looking forward to hosting this Order wide event again in the future.


The Advisory Board, mentioned earlier, is made up of Past State Deputies and serves, as its name implies, as an advisor to the State Council.


In 1973, Dr. Heather Morris, the president of Alliance for Life was the guest at our Annual Convention. In her remarks, she stressed the fact that life begins at conception and should be given the opportunity to grow and develop in a natural way. She commended the Knights of Columbus of Alberta for their efforts in the educational program that we were conducting at that time and suggested that much more needs to be done to keep our governments aware of our position. Since that time abortion has been one of our major priorities in the Alberta jurisdiction.


1973 also saw the year when Alberta started its first Squirette Circle to complement the Squires' Program. Both programs are successful in Alberta and both are growing to the satisfaction of all.


In 1974, Alberta started its program of Vocations. Since that time it has developed into a major program. And when Supreme started their program in 1978, the two programs have dovetailed nicely and much progress is being made. Also this year, the State Council started to hold annual Chaplains programs. The program has done much to help the priests in knowing what we are doing and in getting their co-operation in our programs. It has worked both ways in that much more is being done for the clergy now that we realize their needs.


Other activities that have been started in the last few years include: New program to aid the mentally handicapped, Sponsoring the Alberta Bishops' Proclamation on Pro-Life, the Alberta Bishops statement on Canadian Unity, the Basketball Free Throw Program for our youth.


In the last two years, in line with the programs outlined by Supreme Council we have stressed to our Councils the need to be more family oriented in our programs and in this we are succeeding beyond our fondest expectations. Looking after our widows has also become a prime concern. Provincial family camp-outs have been organized and the wives of our deceased brothers are invited to participate in these programs.


Because organizations that stop growing, die, we have become even more involved in recruiting new members and activating more councils. In this too we are seeing the fruits of our labours and it has become evident that we have only scratched the surface in new members.


Our insurance program is also growing and there is now some $20,000,000.00 of insurance in force in Alberta.


It is evident to all in our first 100 years in Alberta, The Knights of Columbus has indeed prospered. As a result we are al better Knights, better citizens and better Catholics. However, we will not rest on our laurels but will continue to invite every Catholic gentleman to join the order, continue to serve the best interest of the leader, our Church and our communities.



OUR LADY OF PEACE COUNCIL 5726

LETHBRIDGE (1965-1979)


by Peter Boyden


In the Spring of 1964, when Brother Cliff Bogdan was Grand Knight of Council 1490, Past Grand Knight Peter Boyden was given permission to conduct a survey of the membership with the view of establishing a second council in the City of Lethbridge. The favourable result of the survey was brought to the attention of District Deputy Joe Chrumka of Taber Council, who proceeded immediately with the formation of the new council. The name "Our Lady of Peace" was submitted by Brother Ken McIntyre, and the charter from Supreme Council was dated the twenty-seventh of May, 1965. 


CHARTER MEMBERS:

C. Bogdan                  W. Mass                    J.G. Bosch                   Rev. G.A.J. McLellan

S.J. Bleck                   J.S. McMahon           P. Boyden                    K.N. McIntyre

G.R. Bruneau             E.J. McLaughlin        J.K. Cranley                 R.K. Morgan

W.B. Cranley             J.M.Motycka             M.M. Collins                W. Murphy

A. Duckett                  Dr. J.E. Niwa             T.A. De Boer                N. Pazuik

R.C. Doyle                  U.J. Pittman              D.B. Exner                    D. Rohovie

J.H. Flock                   H.K. Schafter            R.D. Gruenwald           J. Schile

V. Gazzler                  L.M. Schulhauser      A. Geiger                      A. Grbavac

V.Grbavac                 R. Harris                     R.M. Heaton                 P. Hrynkiw

C.R. Kyle                    S.H. Kramer               R.J. La Valley               P.J. Martens

E.J. Smith                  J.B. Staddon              R. J.Tennant                 W.H. Tennant

M.A. Van Leuken       C. Van Burren            J.P. Van Leuken           T.K. Weber

J.J. Wensveen





























































The first meeting of the new council was held on June 24, 1965, and the first executive was as follows:


Chaplain                                Father G. McLellan

Grand Knight                         Michael Colins

Deputy Grand Knight            Peter Boyden

Chancellor                             Urban Pitman

Recorder                                Cliff Bogdan

Financial Secretary               John Bosch 

Treasurer                                Nick Pazuik

Lecturer                                  Jerry Niwa

Advocate                                Walter Cranley

Warden                                   Ed McLaughlin

Guards                                    Ray Doyle, Anton Geiger

Trustees                                  Rex Tennant, Ken McIntyre, Guy Gruneau


The first formal function of the Council was a family Communion and breakfast which was reported to be an outstanding success. This was followed by a corn roast at Boyden's farm to which Council 1490 was invited. A birthday part was held for Brother Henry Flock, who was celebrating his 95th birthday.


Our Lady of Peace Council has been active in a wide variety of programs, encompassing Council, community and Church. 


In 1966 Lecturer Pittman held a program dealing with decency in literature which received some attention. We won a Star Council Award that year as well as in 1969 for the completion of programs as outlined by Supreme Council. When the Cutbank, Montana, Council visited Lethbridge they presented Council 5726 with an American flag. The ecumenical movement presently flourishing in Assumption Parish can be traced to Council's efforts in this regard, hosting the United Church Men's Club in 1970.


Our Council has continued to support the youth camp at Waterton Lakes National Park, the scouts and cubs, track and field clubs, broomball and hockey clubs. For a time a school auditorium has been rented for sponsoring a program of youth activities. Trophies for high school basketball and KC golf tournaments were donated through the years. Our Lady of Peace Council entertained a hockey team from Oakville, Ontario in 1974 and received a provincial flag. Community needs were met when a heart monitor and oscilloscope were donated to S.t Michael's Hospital, Lethbridge, in 1971.


Council 5726 has been in the forefront of church activities. We have contributed to St. Catherine's building fund for a church on the Indian reserve at Standoff. We have sent Catholic books to Ceylon and supported a drive for a car for African missions. The Salvation Army received support for providing Christmas hampers to the needy. A Clergy Night for deanery priests is a yearly event. Retreats and Days of Recollection are often sponsored by Church Activities committees. In 1975 Brother Barry Dobek received a plaque for his efforts as chairman of Church Activities.




















The picture above demonstrates the fraternal cooperation of Councils in Sunny Southern Alberta and includes Father McCarty, OMI; as well as Brothers M.M. Collins and Peter Boyden of Council 5726; Robert Olshaski, John Anderson, Nick Velker and Charlie Wadden of Council 1490; Fred O'Donnel of Picture Butte; Ken Heirath of Milk River; naturally wives were included. The convention was held at Edmonton in May of 1967.


OUR LADY OF PEACE COUNCIL 5726

LETHBRIDGE (1979-1996)


by James Jovenazzo



Some Interesting Notes


Council 5726 was awarded the Star Council Award for four consecutive terms 1986-87 to 1989-90. 


Council 5726 received the Vocation Sponsor Award for seven consecutive terms 1986-87 to 1994-95.


Council 5726 celebrated its 30th Anniversary on June27, 1995.


Council 5726's business until 1983 was much similar to that which is reported in the original "A Dedicated History". The change was significant when the Council became a member of the Southern Alberta Bingo Association in 1984. In a short period of time, the Council was overcome by requests for support or financial assistance; so much so, that it was eventually necessary to set a budget encompassing programs in the areas of Council, Church, Youth, and Community. Proposed budgets usually listed over 5 different charities, associations, schools, etc., as recipients.


The Council continues to support the Church. We are responsible for much of the furnishings and necessities in Our Lady of the Assumption Hall, ie. piano, banquet tables, chairs, stove and overhead exhaust, dishwasher, air conditioning, P.A. system, etc. In the Church proper, we have purchased a Mass kit, hymnals for the choir, vestments, crucifixes for altar servers, and in 1993, two new chalices and ciborium. For the rectory, we have provided furnishings for the recreation room, a new telephone system, and the original computer. Other churches which have received assistance are Sacred Heart, Raymond (repairs to sacristy and P.A. system), Our Lady of Mount, Waterton (re- pairs), St. Basil's Lethbridge (wheelchair ramp), St. Theresa, Cardston (vestments, altar cloth and frontal and lectern hanging), St. Joseph, Vermillion (building fund), Mount St. Francis Retreat House, Cochrane (prayer books), St. Patrick's, Lethbridge (tables and chairs for basement hall), and St. Martha's, Lethbridge (building fund).


We have, in conjunction with other parishes, supported the youth ministry. The Council assists the Pastoral Council with the yearly Childrens' Christmas Party, parish picnic, and outing for altar servers.

Until the present, we have made sizeable donations to two religious organizations; the Friends of the Voice of Orthodoxy and the Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies.














K of C sign on Church property at Christmas season


Since the late 1970's and onwards, one of our important projects is "Keep Christ in Christmas."

The project includes three activities in one - the community at large, the members of our Council and

their families, the members of Assumption Parish and the students and teachers of our Catholic

schools. The Council had a 4' x 8' billboard constructed which we display on the Church property each Christmas season (see picture). We involve the members of the parish by passing cut free material such as stamps, posters, and bumper stickers which they are encouraged to use. Posters are given to Catholic schools to be displayed. We involve the students in Grades 4 to 9 by asking them to indicate by means of a poem, drawing, or narrative “What Christmas Means to Me." To encourage students to participate, our Council receives 80 tickets for a Lethbridge Hurricanes hockey game just before Christmas. The tickets are given, gratis, to each participant and family members, making it a family night.


The Council has continued to concentrate on vocations. Every second Tuesday of the month, the Council offers a Mass for vocations and members are encouraged to participate. The Vocation Committee, which is provided with an annual budget of $1000 or more, concentrates on contributing towards the priestly formation of seminarians. To date, six seminarians within Canada have received support. Also, the Committee has gone abroad to support seminarians in Africa (Society of S.t Peter the Apostle) in South America, (Basilian Fathers Mission), Mariannhill Mission, and in the Philippines, Rogationist Fathers.


Our Council continues to promote pro-life. This is necessary because the number of abortions has steadily increased. As in the past, the Council continues to support organizations concerned with life at all stages - Teen-Ed, carries pro-life messages to youth; Canadian Foundation for the Love of Children; Caritas Society - Vegreville - cares for single, expectant mothers; Teen Parenting Program, Lethbridge, encourages unwed mothers to keep their babies and complete their education; Lethbridge and District Pro-Life Association; Billings Family Planning Method; and Hike for Life. October 1993 saw the unveiling of a monument dedicated to the "Unborn Child." Our Council and others of the South Alberta Chapter were among the first to erect such a monument.


In the spirit of serving the community, two projects should be mentioned. In the late 1980's, for two successive years, the Council was responsible for preparing and serving dinner for approximately 20 participants, parents and officials of the Special Olympics. Beginning in 1990 and every year since, during the Lethbridge Labour Day Soccer Tournament, a crew of over 30 members have served breakfast and a barbecue dinner to 1,200 players, parents and officials. The projected number for 1995 is 1,400 due to an increase in the number of teams expected to participate.


Continuing in the vein of service in the community, Council members have shown concern for

those experiencing disabilities, handicapped, shutins, aged, etc. Our assistance permitted three youngsters to enrol in the "Tomatis Electronic Ear" program at Bosco Homes, Regina and we purchased wheelchairs for two handicapped persons. Financial donations have been made to the

Lethbridge Regional Hospital and over the years, we have provided thirteen Lifelines for the Lethbridge Lifeline Association at the Lethbridge Regional Hospital.


Over the years since 1984, St. Michael's Health Care Centre has received sizeable cash donations

from our Council. In 1987, $2,750 was donated for the purchase of a Larynscope and later, the same year, $7,700 was donated for an A.T.S. Tourniquet. In 1991, J. Joevenazzo, as project chairman, made application to the Wild Rose Foundation for a grant of $15,000 for the purposes of purchasing a Handi- cap Bus for the hospital. The Council matched the grant and costs over $30,000 were assumed by the hospital board. A cheque in the amount of $15,000 dated December, 1991, was received from the Wild Rose Foundation under the signature of DickJohnston, M.L.A. and Ken Kowalski, M.L.A.






















Presentation of Handi-Bus: Bob Comstock, R.Paulhus, GK Pat Johnston, Jim Joevenazzo


As Knights, we realized our responsibility in supporting the youth of our Catholic schools. We have assumed this responsibility by assisting the schools in many different projects - Assumption School - workbooks for First Communicants, rental of Camp Columbus for outdoor education, collection of stamps for missions; St. Basil's School - set of encyclopedias; Children of St. Martha School - playground project; St. Francis Jr. High School - yearly academic awards, collecting stamps for mis- sions; Fr. Van Tighem School - crucifix for front entrance; St. Mary's School - yearly Christian Action Award; St. Patrick's School - milk fund; St. Paul's School - statue for front entrance; Catholic Central High School - students attending conferences or forums, replace equipment for football team, bomberette cheerleaders, students trips to Mexico, oratorical contest, safeguard, French Immersion exchange program, and yearly academic awards. Since 1987, the Council has co-sponsored each year the C.C.H.S. Knights of Columbus Annual Basket- ball Tournament. Another yearly project is Awards Night which is sponsored by our Council to hon- our C.C.H.S. students who are leaders in the differ- ent areas -academics, athletics, drama, music, community endeavours, and religious activities. Each May, the Council hosts about 24 students, accompanied by parents and friends at a dinner, at which time, the leaders are recognized and presented with a certificate.


GRAND KNIGHTS:


1966-1967             Peter Boyden

1967-1969             Gay Westwood

1969-1970             Anton Geiger

1970-1971             Robert Ludwig

1971-1973             Theodore Weber

1973-1974             Lou Ouellette

1974-1975             John Bosch

1975-1976             Dale Jensen

1976-1977             John Motycka

1977-1979             Peter Herauf

 1979-1980            Barry Dobek

1980-1981             Ed Martin

1981-1982             Anton Geiger

1982-1983             Conrad Schoening

1983-1984             MJ. "Jack" Kinahan

1984-1986             Cliford G. Bogdan

1986-1988            J. Maurice A. Lefebvre

1988-1990            James Joevenazzo

1990-1992            P.C. Pat Johnston

1992-1993            Rene Croteau 

1993-1995            John Cicman  

1995-1996            John Henderson

1997–1999            Bob Rice

1999–2000            Alex Misak

2000-2002            George Van Dellen

2002-2004            Gerry Hopman

2004-2006            Jim Stegen

2006-2007            Keith Boyden

2007–2008           John Calpas

2008–2010           Al Laronde

2010–2012           John Murray

2012–2014           Ken Tratch

2014–2016           Delode Ell

2016–2018           Ed Hamel

2018–2020           Ray Viel

2020–2021           Ken Tratch

2021–2024           Kaz Sznerch



Two organizations which are subsidiaries of Council 5726 and are self supported financially, are the Sixty Plus Club and the Santa Maria Fraternal Recreational Society of Lethbridge.


The Sixty Plus Club


This Club was incorporated in 1987 and according to its bylaws membership is restricted to Knights of Columbus members and spouses and other Assumption Parish members who are aged 60 years and older.


The main objective of the Club is to provide entertainment and leisure time for the 150 members. This has been provided by bowling parties, card games, picnics, etc. A number of day excursions have been taken to Waterton Lakes, Cypress Hills, Tyrell Museum - Drumheller, Heritage Park - Calgary, Hutterite Colony, and a few trips to Stage West - Calgary for dinner and stage productions. 


The first executive was as follows:


President                 Steve Zatylny

Vice-President        Rene Croteau

Secretary                Edmund Cordeiro

Treasurer                Joe Runge            

 

Santa Maria Fraternal Recreational Society of Lethbridge


Council 5726 became a member of the Southem Alberta Bingo Association in 1984 and after about a year in operation decided to start a building fund. Approximately four years later, at the request of the Council, it was decided to form a Society. Thus, the Santa Maria Fraternal Recreational Society of Lethbridge came into being on October 3, 1988.


The first executive was as follows:


President                 M.J. "Jack" Kinahan

Vice-President        Ovide "Vic" Bourret

Treasurer                William "Bill" Young

Secretary                Maurice "Moe" Lefebvre

Director                  John Bosch


The main objective of the Society was to acquire lands, erect or otherwise provide a building or buildings for social and community purposes. Over the course of time, many properties were explored, and in the end, we came back to the four houses located adjacent to Assumption Hall, which our Council has called home since our beginning in 1965. We have renovated the fourth property which was purchased in May, 1993, and thus, at last, have our own “HOME”.


Current executive is as follows:


President                     Pat Johnston 

Vice-President            Leo Coolen

Treasurer                    John Henderson

Secretary                    

Directors                     

                     


Our objective is to provide low cost residential rentals to people in need.




Camp Columbus – Waterton Lakes National Park































Middle Waterton Lake opposite Vimy Peak. At first, park officials were hesitant to allow construction of another camp in the park but relented having no good reason to object. The Upper Waterton Lake location was rejected out of hand, leaving three other potential sites to be examined. The Middle Waterton Lake site was finally approved and became home to the final permanent youth camp in the park, right after Tee-La-Da Girls Camp. Of the four original youth camps in the park, only Camp Columbus and Canyon Camp remain (Canyon Camp is undergoing reconstruction after the 2017 fire destroyed the camp).


After the approval, the Knights of Columbus quickly set about fundraising for the construction of the camp. All the Knights in the area got behind the project in a big way beginning with a door to door canvas of Catholic residents in Lethbridge, Pincher Creek and Milk River and selling tickets for a draw with the proceeds going toward camp construction.


Plans for the camp were drawn up by May in 1956 and by July construction of the building began. Estimated to cost $25,000, the camp was built by Sieben and Schamber, general contractors from Milk River. On July 1, 1957, the facility was finished and an open house was held incorporating Dominion Day activities. The ceremonies began with a flag raising while a band from Milk River played “O Canada”. Throughout the afternoon, the public was invited to participate in bingo and outdoor games. Topping off the attraction was a barbecue for some 1,200 people.


One week later, the first 10-day camp session for children ages 10-14 opened under the supervision of Bruce Field, camp manager. In later years, the age limit was lowered to 8 years and the time at camp reduced to five days per session for 50 participants each. Open to all children regardless of religious affiliation, the camping activities included water safety, canoeing, team sports, lake swimming, horseback riding at the nearby stable, boat rides on commercial vessels and the ever-popular hiking and evening campfires. When the new town swimming pool opened in 1960, the Camp Columbus kids became regulars at the facility.


Over time, hijinks became a normal part of camp, much to the delight of the seasoned campers and the embarrassment of the newcomers. But, in the long run, it was all about youthful character building. The last night of camp for many years, a kind of kangaroo court was held to admonish those who were supposedly guilty of imagined misdemeanors. Punishments were silly and spirits were kept high.


Camp sessions continued in the following year and have been held every year since for boys and girls emphasizing Christian Spirit, concern for a fragile environment, cooperation with others and maintenance of individuality.


In the past nearly 70 years, many Knights have given freely of their time to keep Camp Columbus operational and available for several generations of young people. We should be grateful to all those Brother Knights. Our Lady of Peace Council members, have been instrumental in fundraising and working to maintain the camp.


The current executive is:


Lee Hochstein (Pincher Creek) - President

John Henderson – Treasurer

Bob Rice – Registrations

Pat Johnston – Rental Information

Bert Sauer - Director

In 1954, Southern Alberta Knights of Columbus, under the direction and urging of then District Deputy Urban Pittman, applied to Waterton Lakes National Park managers to build a fourth youth camp in the park. The representatives from the Knights suggested four potential locations. Two were on Pass Creek in the Blakiston Valley, one was along Upper Waterton Lake and one was along

Back To Top